TC301: Artificial Intelligence for International Development
Artificial intelligence (AI) - the capability of machines to imitate intelligent human behavior - has become the hottest topic of discussion across all sectors. AI technologies are poised to transform many industries, from transportation to healthcare to finance. But what about international development? How will this revolution impact public health, agricultural extension work, humanitarian disaster response, educational delivery, and more? Does AI have potential to truly improve the way aid is carried out? Or are we a long way from having meaningful support and engagement from robots, smart sensors, and the like? And finally, what impact will it have in addressing the global pandemic sweeping the world?
This TechChange course, back for its third year, will offer an overview of the broad field of artificial intelligence, including the more current studies of machine learning and deep learning, and how these new technologies will impact the field of international development. The course aims to prepare students to understand, navigate, and work with the intelligent machines that are already becoming ubiquitous in society, and learn to critically evaluate different types of AI-related technologies, such as looking at built-in bias, ethical and moral considerations, and privacy and security. By doing so, students will be able to cut through hype, evaluate real-world value, and build a basic technical understanding of AI. The course will draw from a variety of international development case studies, particularly in healthcare, agriculture, and education, to look specifically at opportunities within the international development landscape, both now and in the future.
Week 1: Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence
Week 2: Current State of Artificial Intelligence
Week 3: Considerations for Artificial Intelligence
Week 4: The Future of Artificial Intelligence
At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Have a basic understanding of the how artificial intelligence technologies work, including machine learning and deep learning algorithms
- Critically analyze both the opportunities and the pitfalls that emerge when working with artificial intelligence technology to improve international development outcomes
- Connect relevant development theories to the technological strategies and tools discussed in the course
- Design dynamic and effective strategies for using artificial intelligence tools and platforms to improve international development efforts
- Become more confident in evaluating the use of artificial intelligence technologies to address international development issues
- This course is delivered entirely online over a period of four weeks.
- This course features several live interactive expert presentations each week with leading practitioners, software developers, and academics.
- Every live event is recorded and archived for you to watch later.
- This course also features a unique hands-on learning environment with animated videos, technology demos, practical activities, networking events, office hours, participant presentations, immersive simulations, and more.
- TechChange recommends budgeting a minimum commitment of 5-7 hours per week and scheduling time for the course around your existing obligations.
- Participants will have access to all course content for at least 4 months after course completion so the material can be completed and revisited later.
- $395 if application and payment is submitted by May 1st, 2020
- $495 if application and payment is submitted by course start date
Group discount rates available. For more details, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not happy with your course experience for any reason, TechChange is happy to discuss refunds.